Saturday, August 22, 2009

Alberta Time Trial Champion

Great day today became the Alberta time trail champion!!

Attended a great event put on by the Speed Theory Cycling team here in Calgary.

The race took place on the soon to be open ring road in the NE, great 15km ride on a brand new road with no traffic.

This was the first race I did this year that had other handcyclist in my class HC C, there where 3 of us so I was not guarantied the win.

I started out behind one guy in my category with one starting right behind me, I started with the intention of catching the guy in front and did so at around 3 km into the race at this point my heart rate monitor was screaming at me, once I passed him I settled into a strong pace to make sure that I would not get caught by the one guy I passed and the one guy that started behind me. The ride out to the turn around was slightly uphill with a tail wind. Once around the turnaround I noted my time once I saw the first handcyclist, I was 1:20 min ahead and then saw the second guy and was over two min ahead. The ride back was slightly downhill with a head wind that seem to get stronger. I finished strong and definitely left it all on the course.

Got my official time and its a huge improvement over my time at the beginning of the year About 25% increase. Finished in 0:37:17.6 with an average speed of 24.14 - 73% of the national standard.

My average speed at the June 6th TT was 19.61

My next race will be the provincial hill climb championship were I plan to set a course record as long as I will this will happen as no handcyclist has done this race.

No comments: